Clinton County

US States / H-L / Indiana / Clinton County
Clinton

Clinton County is named for DeWitt Clinton, who was the Governor of New York from 1817 to 1823.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Carroll County and Howard County

E – Howard County and Tipton County

S – Boone County

W – Montgomery County and Tippecanoe County 

 

Created:  January 19, 1830                                                        Map of Indiana highlighting Clinton County

County Seat: 

Frankfort  1830 – present

 

County Courthouse – Frankfort  

 

Location:  Courthouse Square / East Clinton Street

Built:  1882 – 1884

Style:  Victorial Eclectic

Architect:  George W Bunting of Indianapolis

Contractor:  Charles Pearce of Indianapolis

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story gray colored stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Frankfort. On each side of the building are stone porticos rising to a pediment at the roof line. At each corner is a square stone tower with small square above the roof line. A wide cornice runs along the roof line. On the centre of the roof is a square dome with clock and domed green colored roof. White colored statues adorn the top of the building. The major space of the interior is the third story courtroom, which still retains its Corinthian pilasters and golden oak furniture, although the ceiling has been lowered.

 

See:  The architect, George W Bunting of Indianapolis, also designed courthouses in Greene CountyJohnson CountyMontgomery CountyUnion County and Wells County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Clinton County Courthouse

 

History:  County meetings were first held in Jefferson at the house of Mathew Bunnell and the public house of Charles I Hand. Frankfort was named as the county seat in 1830. The first courthouse was a log structure built by Alley & Michael in 1831 at a cost of $289. The second courthouse was built by John Elder in 1838 at a cost of $12,000. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1882 to 1884.

 

 

0668i-i08

County Courthouse – Frankfort

 

 

0669i-i08

 

 

0670i-i08

 

 

x_6

 

 

0671i-i08

 

 

0672i-i08

Photos taken 2008