Blackford County is named for Isaac Blackford, who was the Speaker of the Indiana General Assembly and a Justice of the Indiana Supreme Court.
Created: February 15, 1838
Hartford City 1841 – present
County Courthouse – Hartford City
Location: 110 West Washington Street / North Jefferson Street
Built: 1893 – 1895
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: Arthur LaBelle and Burt L French of Marion
Contractor: Christian Boseker & Son of Fort Wayne
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored sandstone structure. The south front has a large arch rising to the third story. On the southwest corner is a high square stone clock tower rising 165 feet. On the east and west sides are two round towers.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed by Charles Jones and William F Jones in 1841. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $129,337.83.
N – Wells County
E – Jay County
S – Delaware County
W – Grant County
Photos taken 2008