Benton County is named for Thomas H Benton, who was a United States Senator from Missouri.
Created: February 18, 1840
Oxford 1843 – 1874
Fowler 1874 – present
County Courthouse – Fowler
Location: 706 East 5th Street / North Grand Avenue
Style: Second Empire French
Architect: Gordon P Randall of Chicago, Illinois
Contractor: Levi L Leach
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The north front extends from the building with a stone framed arch at the entrance and rising to a mansard roof. The building has arched windows and stone trim runs vertical at the corners. The base of the building is course white colored stone. A large addition was added on the south side.
Note: the previous courthouse was built by George Brown in 1855.
S – Warren County
W – Iroquois County, Illinois
Photos taken 2008