Warren County is named for Joseph Warren, who was a pioneer, physician and soldier killed at Bunker Hill during the American revolutionary War.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Mercer County
S – McDonough County
W – Henderson County
Created: January 13, 1825
Oquawaka 1830 – 1836
Monmouth 1836 – present
County Courthouse – Monmouth
Location: 100 West Broadway Avenue / North Main Street
Built: 1894 – 1895
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: O W Marble
Contractor: C A Moses
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored sandstone structure. The south front has high stone steps to a triple square opening with the entrance doorway recessed in the center. The front wall rises to a peaked roof. The windows on the third story are arched. In the center of the building, there is a large square red stone tower with opening at the top.
History: The county was created in 1825 and Oquawaka was selected as the county seat in 1830 and no courthouse was built. In 1831, a satellite courthouse was built in Monmouth and then a second courthouse in 1835. The county seat was moved to Monmouth in 1836 and the third courthouse was large structure built in 1836 to 1841. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1894 to 1895 at a cost of $130,000.
County Courthouse - Monmouth
Photos taken 2007 and 2012