Rock Island County is named for an island in the Mississippi River called “Rock Island”.
Created: February 9, 1831
Farnhamsburg 1833 – 1835
Rock Island 1835 – present
County Courthouse – Rock Island
Location: 210 15th Street / 3rd Avenue
Built: 1897 – 1898
Architect: Gunn & Curtis
Contractor: Charles J Larkin
Description: The building faces faces east and is a four story gray colored stone structure. The building has a central section which projects from the main building. The center section has three arches on the first story and a north and south square tower rising to the top of the fourth story. On the north and south sides of the main building are balconies at the fourth story with arched windows below on the third story.
County Justice Center – Rock Island
Location: 1317 3rd Avenue / 13th Street
Built: 1999 – 2001
Architect: Phillips Swager Associates Inc. of Peoria
Contractor: River City Construction of East Peoria
Description: The building faces south and is a five story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on the west side of the courthouse. The south front has a semi-circular two story section with vertical glass panels and the main entrance, and a concave section on the third and fourth stories, also with vertical glass panels. Brown-gray colored towers rise on the northeast corner and southwest corner. The roof line is flat
See: The architect Phillips, Swager Associates Inc. and the contractor River City Construction also designed and constructed the Justice Center in Tazewell County. The architect Phillips, Swager Associates Inc. designed the courthouse in La Salle County.
County Administration – Rock Island
Location: 1504 3rd Avenue / 15th Street
Built: 1898 – 1900
Style: Italian Renaissance Revival
Architect: Leonard Drack and George Kerns
Contractor: Charles J Larkin
Description: The building faces north and is a three story brownish colored brick and stone structure. The building was constructed for the Fraternal Insurance Company known as the Modern Woodmen of America Building. Decorated with a granite portico, hammered copper ornaments, and bracketed copper trim at the roofline, the building shows symbolic emblems of woodcraft. The building space was doubled in 1904 with a $150,000 annex described as the exact duplicate of the original building, but without its porch. Another major addition filled in what was a three-sided courtyard. The architects designed the building to have a raised basement of rusticated sandstone, topped by three stories of brick and a French clay tile roof. There are terra cotta panels between the first and second stories that feature a torch. Several second story windows have arched tops, also set in terra cotta. Polished granite Ionic columns atop substantial bases surround the arched main entrance. A stone balustrade caps the columned entrance. The interior features marble and polished granite walls. The building was purchased in 1965 by the County.
S – Mercer County
W – Muscatine County, Iowa
Photos taken 2008