McLean County

US States / H-L / Illinois / McLean County
McLean -O

McLean County is named for John McLean, who was a United States Representative and a United States Senator from Illinois from 1824 to 1825 and 1829 to 1830.


Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Woodford County and Livingston County

E – Livingston County, Ford County and Champaign County

S – Piatt CountyDeWit County and Logan County

W – Logan CountyTazewell County and Woodford County


Created:  December 25, 1830                                                    Map of Illinois highlighting McLean County

County Seat:

Bloomington  1831 – present


Old County Courthouse – Bloomington


Location:  200 North Main Street / Washington Street

Built:  1901 – 1903

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  William Reeves & John M Bailie of Peoria

Contractor:  Peoria Stone & Marble Works


Description: The building faces east and is a three story gray colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Bloomington to the north of the present courthouse. The east front has a projecting portico with three large arches on the first story and four Doric columns rising from the second story to a pediment at the roof line. There is a balustrade along the flat roof line. On the center of the building is a dome with a limestone drum and a small cupola at the top. In the interior there are broad hallways which meet at the center under the three story rotunda. The rotunda rises over 100 feet into the air and at the top features an allegorical painting representing peace and prosperity. The halls have mosaic floors and wall treatment composed of white colored marble dado which is capped with antique verde serpentine stone. Marbleized plaster, scagliola, panels complete the walls. The building’s ceilings are decorated with plaster cornices and molded leaf and rosette complements. The Honduras mahogany doors have a rail and panel design and beveled glass is used for decorative side lights and panels. The upper stories are reached by a broad white colored marble stairway which features bronze fish-scale screens which are decorated with laurel wreaths, the same type of screen closes the rails around the rotunda opening. Inside the rooms are sand cast plaster cornices and a variety of floor finishes which include mosaic, marble and maple. The original stenciling in the rooms has been lost to the past. The three original courtrooms are decorated with frescoes, marble dadoes and scagliola. The original fresco remains in the Stevenson-Ives library. Other notable architectural features include many beveled and leaded glass panels, scagliola door surrounds, solid bronze wall partitions, a number of original bronze, combination gas and electrical light fixtures and marble counters. The building was destroyed by a fire in 1903 and rebuilt. The architect was George Miller, Paul Moratz and A L Pillsbury of Bloomington. The building now houses the McLean County Museum of History.


County Courthouse – Bloomington




Location:  104 West Front Street / Main Street

Built:  1976 – 1977

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Lundeen, Hilfinger and Ashbury

Contractor:  Felmey-Dickerson Company.


Description: The building faces north and is a six story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Bloomington. The north center section projects from the main building and has vertical glass windows. On the first story is a canopy supported by concrete pillars. White colored horizontal concrete bands are located on the upper sections. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 11th Judicial Circuit. The building is named as the Law and Justice Center. The building was remodeled from 1988 to 1990. The architect was Hilfinger, Ashbury, Abels and Asociates and the contractor was River City Construction Company. The building was renovated from 1996 to 1997. The architect was Shive-Hattery, Inc and the contractor was P J Hoerr Inc.


See:  The 11th Judicial District includes Ford County, Livingston CountyLogan CountyMcLean County and Woodford County. 


History:  The county was created in 1830 and Bloomington was selected as the county seat in 1831 when the county was organized. The first courthouse was built in 1831 and the second courthouse was built in 1836. The third courthouse was designed by Alfred Piquenard and built in 1968. The courthouse was damaged by a fire on June 19, 1900. The fourth courthouse was constructed in 1901 to 1903 and is still standing. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1976 to 1977.


County Government Center – Bloomington




Location:  115 East Front Street / East Street

Built:  Unknown

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown


Description: The building faces south and is a four story concrete and glass structure. The rectangular shaped building is located in the center of Bloomington. The first story is recessed. The east half of the south front and the east side have vertical dividers with vertical windows between. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Government Center. 




Old County Courthouse – Bloomington



















Statue of Abraham Lincoln




County Courthouse – Bloomington



















County Government Center

Photos taken 2010