McDonough County is named for Thomas McDonough, who was a commodore who defeated the British on Lake Champlain in 1814.
Created: January 25, 1826
Macomb 1831 – present
County Courthouse – Macomb
Location: 1 Courthouse Square / East Jackson Street
Built: 1872 – 1873
Architect: Elijah E Myers of Philadelphia
Contractor: A Walbaum of Chicago
Description: The building faces west and is a two story reddish colored brick structure. The west front has a small portico at the top of a stone stairs. The portico is supported by two-double columns with the pediment at the top of the first story. Above the second story rises as square tower with three small windows, mansard roof and an octagonal cupola at the top. On the north, east and south sides, the brick walls form a peak. Porticos adorn all sides. White stone trim decorates the windows, corners and forms horizontal bands at each story. The base of the building is white coloured stone. The building was renovated in 1971 to 1973. The architect was Bing Coney of Coney & Dahl and the contractor was Galesburg Construction Company.
See: The architect, Elijah E Myers of Philadelphia, also designed the now demolished courthouse in Seneca County, Ohio and in Illinois in Knox County, in Indiana in Grant County and in Ohio in Lorain County.
E – Fulton County
S – Schuyler County
W – Hancock County