Iroquois County is named for the Iroquois, which applied to a former confederacy of six Native American peoples, the Mohawk, Onedida, Seneca, Onodaga, Cayuga and Tuscarora who settled along the Hudson River Valley in New York.
Created: February 26, 1833
Montgomery 1837 – 1839
Middleport 1839 – 1865
Watseka 1865 – present
County Courthouse – Watseka
Location: 550 South 10th Street / East Grant Street
Built: 1965 – 1966
Architect: Graham Anderson Probst & White of Chicago
Contractor: R T Milord Company
Description: The building faces west and is a two story rectangular concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The west front has a large dark glass front at the entrance. There are few windows in the building and the rest is sold concrete walls. The roof line is flat.
County Administration – Watseka
Location: 1001 East Grant Street / South 11th Street
Description: The building faces north and is a one story structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The roof line is flat.
Old County Courthouse – Watseka
Location: 103 West Cherry Street / South 2nd Street
Style: Second Empire
Architect: C B Leach
Contractor: A C Montor
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. Additions were built on the sides in 1881 and 1927. The building is now the Iroquois County Museum.
N – Kankakee County
W – Ford County
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2008