Henry County is named for Patrick Henry, who was a soldier in the American Revolutionary War and was later, the Governor of Virginia.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
Created: January 13, 1825
Richmond 1837 – 1840
Morristown 1840 – 1843
Cambridge 1843 – present
County Courthouse – Cambridge
Location: 307 West Center Street / South Main Street
Built: 1878 – 1879
Style: Victorian / Second Empire
Architect: Thomas J Tolan & Son and Brentwood S Tolan of Fort Wayne, Indiana
Contractor: Julius W Hinkley
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds on the center of Cambridge. The brick is stacked in bond pattern with limestone trim. The east front of the building has a small entrance with light colored stone facing rising to the top of the second story. On the second story is a double arched window. Above the second story rises a gray stone tower ascending to four clocks and a steep roof with parapet at the top. At each corner of the building is a pavilion with narrow vertical windows. Other windows across the building are also narrow, vertical and have a small arch at the top. In the interior, the first story has black and white colored marble tiles and corrugated ceilings. The hallways terminate with a circular arch. The main courtroom is located on the west side of the second story and has elaborate ceiling paintings, a marble fireplace and wooden benches. The paintings are the work of Frank Dirkson and depict the sklines of Cambridge, Galva, Genesco and Kewanee. There is a large chandelier in the center. On the east side is a smaller courtroom. On the west side of the building is a new modern two story red colored brick addition.
History: The county was created in 1825 and Richmond was selected as the county seat in 1837. The first county commissioners met at the home of George Brandenburg at Dayton ( Cleveland ) The first courthouse was a two story frame structure built in 1838 to 1839 and was destroyed by fire in April 1839. In 1840, the county seat was moved to Morristown. The second courthouse was built in 1841. In 1843, the county seat was moved to Cambridge and the second courthouse was moved by oxen to Cambridge. The third courthouse was a large wooden structure built in 1845 opposite the second courthouse. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1878 to 1880 at a cost of $77,147.
County Courthouse - Cambridge
County Courthouse Addition – Cambridge
Photos taken 2007