Henderson County is named for the Henderson River which flows through the county and which was named after Henderson County in Kentucky.
Created: January 20, 1841
Oquawka 1841 – present
County Courthouse – Oquawka
Location: 307 Warren Street / 4th Street
Built: 1843 – 1844
Style: Colonial and Greek Revival
Architect: Alexis Phelps
Contractor: Jason Ryason and Woodworth and Merrill
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. On the south front is a large portico supported by four large white columns. Above the pediment is a large white square tower with an octagonal white wood cupola with windows. New additions have been added on the north side. The building is the second oldest courthouse in Illinois still in use after the Putnam County Courthouse.
N – Mercer County
E – Warren County
Photos taken 2007