Minidoka County

US States / H-L / Idaho / Minidoka County
0672MI11

Minidoka County is named for the Native American Lakota word for “a fountain or spring of water” or for the Shoshone word for “broad expanse”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Blaine County

E – Blaine County

S – Cassia County

W – Jerome County and Lincoln County

 

Created:  January 28, 1913                                                        Map of Idaho highlighting Minidoka County

County Seat: 

Rupert  1913 – present

 

County Courthouse – Rupert 

 

Location:  715 G Street / 7th Street

Built:  1916 – 1917

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  L M Gates

Contractor:  Krueger & Brown of Twin Falls

 

Description:  The building  faces east and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Rupert. The east front has a central entrance has two red colored stone columns and a red stone pediment. The cornice below the roof line is red stone. The roof line is flat. On the west side is the County Jail and Sheriff Office and on the northeast side is the County Judicial Building.

 

County Judicial Building – Rupert 

 

0679mi11

 

Location:  715 G Street / 7th Street

Built:  1974 – 1975

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Dropping Kelley Hosford and LaMarche of Boise

Contractor:  Neilsen & Company

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. . The building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Rupert on the north side of the courthouse. The building has an open portico at the entrance. Vertical dividers run along the central section. The roof line is flat. In the interior is the courtroom. The building houses the County District Court and County Magistrate Court of the 5th Judicial District. The building is named as the Sherman J. Bellwood Judicial Building.

 

See:  The architect Dropping Kelley Hosford and LaMarche of Boise designed the the courthouse in Latah County and the Idaho Supreme Court building.

 

See:  The 5th Judicial District includes Blaine CountyCamas CountyCassia CountyGooding CountyJerome CountyLincoln County and Twin Falls County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1913 and Rupert was selected as the county seat. The county first met in the Ash Building on the north side of the Courthouse Square. The building later become the Rupert Hotel. The first and present courthouse was constructed in 1916 to 1917 at a cost of $24,000. The County Judicial Building was constructed in 1974 to 1975 at a cost of $400,000.

 

 

0670mi11

County Courthouse – Rupert

 

 

0671mi11

 

 

0674mi11

 

 

0675mi11

 

 

0678mi11

County Judicial Building – Rupert

 

 

a

 

 

0680mi11

 

 

0682mi11

 

 

0683mi11

Photos taken 2011