Kootenai County is named for the Kutenai Native American tribe who resided in the region.
Created: December 22, 1864
Coeur d’Alene 1864 – present
County Courthouse – Coeur d’Alene
Location: 501 North Government Way / West Garden Avenue
Built: 1925 – 1927
Style: Georgia Revival
Architect: Julius A. Zittle
Contractor: C L Muller.
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick structure. There is a small portico at the front with small balcony above. The second story windows are arched. A lower section extends on either side of main building. The roof line is flat.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Kootenai County Courthouse
County Justice Building – Coeur d’Alene
Location: 324 West Garden Avenue / Northwest Boulevard
Built: !985 – 1986
Architect: Sam E Rodell
Contractor: Great Northern Construction of Hayden Lake
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The main north entrance is on the second story and the building descends south down a slope with west entrance on the first story. The roof line is flat. .
County Administration – Coeur d’Alene
Location: 451 North Government Way / Northwest Boulevard
Built: 1996 – 1997
Architect: H2A Architects of Coeur d’Alene
Contractor: Polin Construction, Inc. of Coeur d’Alene
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red and white colored brick and concrete structure. The roof line is flat.
Old County Courthouse – Coeur d’Alene
Location: 424 Sherman Street / 5th Street
Built: !905 – 1906
Architect: George Williams
Contractor: Branson and Max
Description: The building faces west and is a three story buff colored stone and brick structure. The west front has a projecting center section with a round arched entry with a modillion-like keystone. The terra cotta ornamentation is in the spandrels. Pilasters with terra cotta caps support a frieze and cornice with a balustrade on the second story. A wide cornice runs below the flat roof line with ornamentation below. The foundation is constructed of raised smooth stone. The building served as courthouse until 1926 and then as the City Hall.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Coeur d’Alene City Hall
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1889 and had an addition built in 1894.
N – Bonner County
E – Shoshone County
S – Benewah County
W – Spokane County, Washington
Photos taken 2006, 2012 and 2016