Cassia County is named for Cassia Creek or for James John Cazier, who was a member of the Mormon Battalion.
Created: February 20, 1879
Albion 1879 – 1918
Burley 1918 – present
County Courthouse – Burley
Location: 1459 Overland Avenue / East 15th Street
Built: 1939 – 1940
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Burton E Morse of Twin Falls
Contractor: C W Watkins of Boise
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick structure. The west front has a high center section with the entrance on the first story and large window on the second story with a cream colored terra cotta cast with foliate and geometric design and above. Above the entrance is another cream colored panel with a wingspread eagle and the date “1939″. On the exterior are projecting dividers between the windows. A horizontal band runs along the flat roof line. There are glass canopies extending from the west and south entrances. The building is a Public Works Administration project.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Cassia County Courthouse
Photos taken 2011