Camas County

US States / H-L / Idaho / Camas County
Camas

Camas County is named for the Camassia, which is plant species important as a food source among Native Americans and early settlers.

 

Created:  February 6, 1917

County Seat: 

Fairfield  1912 – present

 

County Courthouse – Fairfield 

 

Location:  501 Soldiers Road / Willow Avenue West

Built:  1915 – 1916

Style:  Federal

Architect:  Local builders

Contractor:  Local builders

 

Description:  The building  faces east and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The building is located on the street corner and was a former bank. The main entrance is located at the north end of the east front. The roof line is flat. On the west side is the white colored addition. The courtroom is located on the second story.

 

Note:  The courthouse was once the first bank in Fairfield and was managed by George Horrell who supervised the construction. The bank folded under uncertain circumstances and George Horrell spent some time in prison for his involvement. The County moved into the building in 1935.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Blaine County

E – Blaine County

S – Lincoln County and Gooding County

W – Elmore County

 

 

 

0524mi11

 

 

0520mi11

 

 

0522mi11

 

 

0175c15

 

 

0177c15

 

 

0178c15

Photos taken 2011 and 2015