Bear Lake County

US States / H-L / Idaho / Bear Lake County
Bear Lake

Bear Lake County is named for Bear Lake situate on the border with Utah.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Caribou County

E – Lincoln County, Wyoming

S – Rich County, Utah

W – Franklin County and Caribou County

 

Created:  January 5, 1875                                                          Map of Idaho highlighting Bear Lake County

County Seat: 

Paris  1875 – present

 

Former County Courthouse – Paris

 

Location:  7 East Center Street / North Main Street

Built:  1884 – 1885

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  Truman O Angell

Contractor:  Wooley Brothers of Paris

 

Description:  The building faced south and was a two story red colored brick structure. The building was located on landscaped grounds in the center of Paris. The south front had two high white colored columns with a recessed entrance on the first story, an enclosed second story and pediment at the roof line. The windows were arched and the roof was hipped. Steep stairs ascended to the courtroom on the second story. The building was remodeled in 1908 and 1936 and demolished on February 22, 2021. The courthouse was the oldest courthouse in Idaho still in use as a courthouse until demolished.

 

Note:  The architect, Truman 0 Angell worked out of Salt Lake City and designed the Logan, Utah, L.D.S. tabernacle prior to planning this building. He also was the major architect involved in the designing of the Salt Lake City Tabernacle.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Bear Lake County Courthouse

 

County Courthouse – Paris

 

Location:  30 North Main Street / East Center Street

Built:  2018 – 2020

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Meyers Anderson Architects of Pocatello

Contractor:  Big D Construction of Salt Lake City, Utah

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a one story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Paris. The center of the west front has a projecting section with glass walls and entrance and pediment above at the roof line. A white colored band runs along the flat roof line. At the center of the roof is a large white colored square drum. The building  houses the County District Court and County Magistrate Court of the 6th Judicial District. 

 

See:  The 6th Judicial District includes Bannock CountyCaribou CountyFranklin CountyOneida County and Power County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1875 and Paris was selected as the county seat in 1875. The first courthouse was constructed in 1885 to 1886 and was demolished on February 22, 2021. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 2018 to 2020 at a cost of 5,800.000.

 

 

0744mi11

Former County Courthouse – Paris

 

 

0746mi11

 

 

0747mi11

 

 

0749mi11

Photos taken 2011