American Samoa is derived from the miracle of creation which was fragrance, according to ancient myth when Le Tagaloa, the supreme god, rolled gigantic stones from heaven into the tropic sea and they became islands. The sweet smelling land was called “Samoa” meaning the “Sacred Centre”. Also means “sacred chicken”.
Territory Acquired: April 17, 1900
Location: South Pacific Ocean
Capital: Pago Pago ( Fagatogo )
Courthouse – Pago Pago
Location: 500 Main Street
Built: 1900 – 1904
Style: South Pacific Colonial
Description: Courthouse is situate in the center of the town in Pago Pago (Fagatogo) along the south side of the Main Street (Highway 1) and is located to the west of the Legislature ( Fono ). The two story colonial style building was built between 1900 and 1904. The building originally severed as the territorial executive and naval office. The building was expanded in 1929, and under went a total renovation in 1975 and in 1998. The main court room is along the west side of the first level. A railed balcony runs around the upper and lower levels. The roof is hipped. The building houses the High Court of American Samoa. The District Court is located on the east side and is contained in a separate white colored wooden building.
See: National Register of Historic Places – High Court of American Samoa Courthouse
American Samoe Courthouse – Pago Pago
District Courthouse Pago Pago
Governor’s House - Pago Pago
Description: Governor’s House is situate on the east side of the town in Pago Pago (Fagatogo) where the Main Street ( Highway 1 ) curves south. The two story wooden colonial mansion is atop Maugaoai’i Hill ( the chief’s hill ). There is a peaked roof at the east front and a low one story extension on the south side with railed sitting area on top, On the north side is a two story extension with open verandah on the lower level and screened verandah on the upper level. Built in 1903, the house severed as a residence for all American Samoa’s naval commanders until the Department of the Interior took control in 1951. Since that date, the house has severed as residence of the territorial governors. The white colored house faces east overlooking the entrance to Pago Pago Harbor. The driveway to the house comes up the hill along the north side of the hill.
Governor’s House – Pago Pago
Legislature ( Fono ) - Pago Pago
Description: Legislature ( Fono ) is located in the center of the town in Pago Pago (Fagatogo). The building is situate on the north side of the Main Street ( Highway 1 ) facing south onto Malae o le Talu ( Town Square ). Built in October 1973, the modern building houses the Legislative Assembly comprised of the House of Representatives and Senate. The building is covered with a dark brown colored roof which is wrapped around the structure. Traditional Samoan architecture and building styles, including the ‘fale afolau” style of home and “fale tele” style of meeting house were incorporated. The south two story high entrance has four white pillars with a large Seal above the glass door entrance. The Reception Hall is located at the south entrance. The House of Representatives is along the east side of the main building. The Chamber is two stores high with the Speaker’s Podium on the north side and full length windows along the east side. The Senate is along the west side of the main building. The Chamber is two stores high with the Speaker’s Podium on the north side and full length windows along the west side. Offices are contained in low buildings on the east side and on the west side. These low buildings have white pillars along the out walls creating a covered walkway around the buildings.
Legisature ( Fono ) – Pago Pago
Photos taken 2000