Zacatecas originates from the Nahuatl language which describes a “people where grass is abundant” and the word “zacatl” means “grass” and “tecatl” means “people”.
Created: Decemeber 23, 1823
Zacatecas 1823 – present
Government Palace (Palacio de Gobierno) – Zacatecas
Location: Plaza de Armas
Style: Spanish Baroque
Description: The building faces west and is a two story structure. The building is located in the centre of the city on the east side of the Plaza de Armas. The building was constructed in the 18th century for a family of colonial gentry. The building was first owned by Don Vicente Saldivar y Mendoza and Dona Ana Temino de Banuelos, son and daughter of one of the founders of the city. The building passed to the Counts of Santiago de la Laguna. In 1834, the building was sold to the government as the Government Palace. The building is constructed in baroque style with a central patio surrounded by hallways and offices. The building was remodleed to exhibit the flattened window pilasters typical of the post-neoclassical or republican style. The building has a large Main Hall. There is an annexed building on the south side where the Office of the Governor is located. In the turret of the main staircase is a mural painted by Antonio Rodriguez in 1970.
Legislative Palace (Palacio Legislativo) - Zacatecas
Location: SE - Avenida Fernando Villalpalndo / Avenida San Augustin
Description: The building faces north ans is a two story structure. The building is located in the centre of the city. The building is part of the former Templo de San Augustin. The building was renovated on March 14, 1985 for use by the State Congress. The entrance faces north onto a raised plaza. Inside the entrance is a hall with the Salon de Sessiones on the south side. The building houses the State Congress (Honorable Congreso del Estado de Zacatecas).
Justice Palace (Palacio de Justicia) - Zacatecas
Location: Avenida Hidalgo 699 / Plaza de Armas
Description: The building faces east and is a two story structure. The building is in the city centre on Plaza de Armas. The building was constructed at the end of the 18th century as a house for Dan Manuel de Retegui. The white building is named “Palacio de la Mala Noche”, as the owner had the Mala Noche mine near the city. The building has a large interior courtyard. The building served as the Municipal Assembly, Legislative Assembly and Judicial Building until 1832 when the Municipal Assembly moved to a new building. In 1985, the Legislative Assembly was transferred to a new building leaving the building for use as the Judicial Building. The building houses the Tribunal Superior de Justicia.
Photos taken 2005