Tamaulipas is named after the Tamaulipas Indian tribe who inhabited the region. Tamaulpas means “high mountains”, “Tribe of Olives” and “Place where it is prayed much”.
Created: February 7, 1824
Cuidad Victoria 1824 – present
Government Palace (Palacio de Gobierno) – Cuidad Victoria
Location: NW - Avenida Juarez / Calle Manuel Gonzalez (Calle 15)
Built: 1949 – 1951
Description: The building faces north and is a four story white coloured concrete structure. The building is located in the centre of the city. The building faces north onto a plaza and was constructed on the site of the Old Juarez Theatre. The building has a portico with large square pillars extending up to the third story. Until 1984 the State Congress (Honorable Congreso de Estado de Tamaulipas) occupied the second floor. The Government Palace was previously housed in the Municipal Palace (Palacio Municipal).
Legislative Palace (Palacio Legislativo) - Cuidad Victoria
Location: Avenida Zaragoza Ote 2315 / Boulevard Praxedis Balboa
Built: 1982 – 1984
Description: The building faces southeast and is a one story yellow coloured concrete structure. The building is located to the east of the city centre. The modern building was opened on July 2, 1984. The building has a glass front on the southeast corner with square concrete supports. Inside the entrance is a large hall with the Salon de Sessiones off the west side. The building houses the State Congress (Honorable Congreso del Estado de Tamaulipas). From 1951 until 1984, the State Congress (Honorable Congreso de Estado de Tamaulipas) was located on the second floor of the Government Palace (Palacio de Gobierno). From 1941 to 1951, it was located in the Municipal Palace
Justice Palace (Palacio de Justicia) - Cuidad Vicroria
Location: Boulevard Praxedis Balboa 2207
Description: The building faces south and is a one story white coloured concrete and glass structure. The building is located at to the west of the city centre. The Legislative Palace (Palacio Legislativo) is located on the north side and the Government Tower is located in the east side. The modern building faces south onto a raised plaza. The building has a white coloured concrete portico extending from the glass front framed with white concrete supports. The building houses the Superior Court of Justice.
N – Texas, USA
E – Texas, USA and Gulf of Mexico
Photos taken 2005