Sonora is derived from the word “Xunuta” ( Sonot ) corn and means “in the corn” or “place of the corn”. The Indian residents of the region of the Sonora River were called Sonoras.
Created: January 10, 1824
Hermosillo 1824 – present
Government Palace (Palacio de Gobierno) – Hermosillo
Location: Plaza Zaragoza – Callejon Velazco / Avenida Dr. Paliza
Style: Spanish colonial
Description: The building faces west and is two story grey and white coloured stone structure. The building is located in the centre of the city on the east side of Plaza Zaragoza. The first building was constructed in 1859 of brick and adobe in neoclassic style as the municipal palace. Stone was quarried from Cerro de la Campana. In 1879, the State Congress rented the building and in 1881, the building was rebuilt under the direction of Governor Don Carlos Rodriguez to serve as the Sonoran Istitute of Fine Arts. In 1884, the building was converted into the Government Palace. The building was almost completely destroyed by fire in 1948. The building has a central square clock tower in the centre of the front part of the building. In the centre of the building is a large courtyard with a grand staircase on the east side. The Salon Gobernadores is a large decorated room with pictures of the former state governors. An interior courtyard is planted with trees and displays colourful, dramatic murals depicting the history of Sonora.
Legislative Palace (Palacio Legislativo) - Hermosillo
Location: Avenida Allende / Avenida Tehuantepec
Description: The building faces north and is a two story white coloured concrete and glass structure. The building is located at the southeast corner of Avenida Allende and Avenida Tehuantepec in the city centre to the south of the Government Palace ( Palacio de Gobierno ). The modern building sits on round columns with two floors above, each extending outwards. The northeast corner of the first story is glass, and the main entrance is at the northwest corner. The building houses the State Congress ( Honorable Congreso del Estado de Sonora ) on the second floor.
Justice Palace (Palacio de Justicia) - Hermosillo
Location: Avenida Tehuantepec / Avenida Comonfort
Built: 2000 – 2001
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red coloured structure. The building is located is located at the southeast corner of Avenida Tehuantepec and Avenida Comonfort to the south of the Government Palace ( Palacio de Gobierno ). The building replaced the old Justice Palace built in 1588. The building has a large entrance arch with bluish-grey coloured columns along the north front and high arched windows. The interior has a rectangular courtyard with raised pool, waterfall and fountain. The building houses the Supremo Tribunal de Justica.
E – Chihuahua
S – Sinaloa and Gulf of California
W – Baja California and Gulf of California
Photos taken 2007