San Luis Potosi was named in honour of “San Luis”, the French King and “Potosi” was used to compare the wealth of the mines of the Hill of San Pedro with those of Potosi in Bolivia. Another version is that the origin of the name is that given as homage to the Viceroy Luis of Velasco.
Created: December 22, 1823
San Luis Potosi 1823 – present
Government Palace (Palacio de Gobierno) – San Luis Potosi
Location: Jardin Hidalgo 11
Built: 1798 – 1816
Description: The building faces east and is a two story rose coloured stone structure. The building is located at in the centre of the city on the west side of the Plaza de Armas (Jardin Hidalgo). The building has a facade of rose-coloured stone. Here Benito Juarez denied clemency to Archduke Maximilian.
Legislative Palace (Palacio Legislativo) - San Luis Potosi
Location: Jardin Hidalgo / Calle 5 de Mayo
Description: The building faces north and is a two story stone structure. The building is located on the southwest side of the in the Plaza de Armas (Jardin Hidalgo) in the city centre. The building is one building east along Avenida Manuel Jose Othon with the Hotel Plaza on the east side. Inside the entrance is the entrance hall with the Salon de Sessiones on the south side. The building houses the State Congress (Honorable Congreso del Estado de San Luis Potosi).
Justice Palace (Palacio de Justicia) - San Luis Potosi
Location: NW - Avenida Rayon / Calle Vallejo,
Built: 1970 – 1972
Style: Modern Spanish Colonial
Description: The building faces east and is a two story concrete structure. The building is located is located to the south of the city centre. On the north side is Avenida Ignacio Comfort. The building faces east onto Calle Vallejo. The modern building was constructed in 1972 on the site formerly occupied by the Capilla Nuestra Senora de los Dolores which chapel was constructed in the 18th century. The chapel is now the reception hall, and in the interior are two open courtyards on the north and south. The former building once housed the women’s gaol. The building houses the Tribunal Superior de Justica.
Photos taken 2005