Jalisco is a name that comes from the Nahuati term “xalisco” which means “sandy place”.
Created: December 23, 1823
Guadalajara 1823 – present
Government Palace (Palacio de Gobierno) – Guadalajara
Location: SE - Avenida Morales / Avenida Corona
Built: 1759 – 1790
Style: Spanish Colonial
Description: The building faces west and is a two story stone structure. The building is located at Plaza Armas in the city centre. The building is square in shape measuring 76 metres across and was built in a combination of styles with a mix of simple, neoclassical features and riotous Churrigueresque decorations. In 1774, the arch of the west entrance was completed and a second floor was constructed. The west façade has a central tower with clock, constructed in 1885. The northeast side of the building once contained the private rooms of the Governor. In 1872, the chapel was replaced by the Legislative Chamber until 1977. The central patio is inside the central west entrance. There is a smaller patio in the southeast part of the building. The building contains the Jalisco Room where the decree abolishing slavery was signed by Miguel Hidalgo on December 6, 1810. The building contains murals by Clementer Orozco. The Congreso (Congress Hall) is upstairs and contains an Orozco mural depicting Hidalgo, Benito Juarez and other important figures in Mexican history.
Legislative Palace (Palacio Legislativo) - Guadalajara
Location: 222 Avenida Hidalgo / Avenida Belen
Description: The building faces south and is a two story structure. The building is located in the city centre opposite Plaza de la Liberacion. The building was remodeled in 1980 and converted to the Legislative Palace in February 1982. The building faces south onto the Plaza de la Liberacion. The two story stone structure has wrought iron balconies at each window on the second floor. The building has massive stone columns in the interior patio. The building houses the State Congress (Honorable Congreso de Estado de Jalisco) and the Legislative Chamber is located on the west side of the patio.
Justice Palace (Palacio de Justicia) - Guadalajara
Location: 190 Avenida Hidalgo / Avenida Belen
Description: The building faces south and is a two story structure. The building is located in the city centre opposite the Plaza de la Liberacion. The original building was constructed in 1588 as part of the Convento de Santa Maria, the first nunnery built in the city. In 1879, the present building was constructed, and in 1952, the building was converted to the Justice Palace. The two story white building has a central stone entrance on the south side and an interior patio. A 1965 mural by Guillermo Chavez depicting Benito Juarez and other figures in Mexico’s legislative history, graces the interior stairway. The building contains a library.
W – Pacific Ocean and Nayarit
Photos taken 2006