Guanajuato is named after the Gauchicls tribal group whose name means “head painted red” and their territory extended from Saltillo in the north to San Felipe in the south.
Created: December 20, 1823
Guanajuato 1823 – present
Government Palace (Palacio de Gobierno) – Guanajuato
Location: Paseo de la Presa 166 / Parque Antillon
Built: 1903 – 1904
Style: Spanish Baroque
Description: The building faces *** and is three story Guanajuato green coloured sandstone structure. The building is located at to the southeast of the centre of the city. The building stands on the site of the old house of the Marquis of San Clemente, which house was destroyed by a flood. The building evokes European elegance.
Old Legislative Palace (Palacio Legislativo) – Guanajuato
Location: Paza de la Paz #77
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story structure. The building is located at in the city centre. The building housed the State Congress (Honorable Congreso del Estado de Guanajuato). The building was inaugurated in 1903 by President Portirio Diaz. The façade is neoclassic and the interior has art nouveau influences. The building now houses the Museo Palacio de los Poderes.
Justice Palace (Palacio de Justicia) - Guanajuato
Location: Circuito Superior Pozuelos 1
Description: The building faces north and is a two story yellow coloured concrete structure. The building is located at to the south of Monumento al Barretro, south of the city centre. The building sits on a low hill and the buildings ascend the hill. The building fhouses the Tribunal Superior de Justica.
N – San Luis Potosi
E – Queretaro
S – Michoacan
W – Jalisco
Old Legislative Palace
Photos taken 2005