Durango

Mexico Courthouses / Durango
856NM05

Durango was named by founder, Don Francisco de Ibarra, after the town of his birth in Spain. Durango (Spain) is of Basque origin and means “fertile lowland bathed by rivers surrounded be elevations or mountains”.

 

Created:  May 22, 1824

State Capital: 

Durango   1824 – present

 

Government Palace (Palacio de Gobierno) – Durango

 

Location:  NE - Calle 5 de Febrero / Avenida Zaragoza Esqunial

Built:  Unknown

Style:  Spanish Baroque

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces north and is two story red coloured structure. The building is located in the city centre on the south side is the Plaza IV Centenario. The building was constructed on the estate of a Spanish mine owner and expropriated by the government after the War of Independence. The exterior façade has arches forming a vestibule. There are beautiful balconies with forged iron rails. Inside are several patios and colourful murals painted by Francisco Montoyo in 1950, depicting the history of the state.

 

Legislative Palace (Palacio Legislativo) - Durango

 

867nm05

 

Location:  Calle 5 de Febrero 900 Pte / Avenida Zaragoza Esqunial

Built:  Unknown

Style:  Spanish Colonial

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story structure. The building is located in the city centre. The two story yellow coloured building has an arched arcade along the south side. Inside the entrance is a hall with the Legislative Chamber on the west side. The building houses the State Congress (Honorable Congreso del Estado de Durango) on the first floor.

 

Justice Palace (Palacio de Justicia) - Durango

 

868nm05

 

Location:  SW – Avenida Zargoza Esqunial / Calle 5 de Febrero i

Built:  Unknown

Style:  Spanish Pueblo

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story yellow coloured stone and concret structure. The building is located in the city centre and faces east onto Plaza IV Centenado. The building has large arches along the main story and the central entrance is recessed. The roof line is flat. The building houses the Tribunal Superior de Justicia.

 

States: 

N – Chihuahua and Coahuila

E – Coahuila and Zacatecas

S – Zacatecas and Nayarit

W – Nayarit, Sinaloa and Chihuahua

 

                       

 

858nm05

Government Palace

 

 

859nm05

 

 

869nm05

 

 

855nm05

 

 

870nm05

 

 

871nm05

 

 

862nm05

Legislative Palace

 

 

863nm05

 

 

864nm05

 

 

865nm05

 

 

857nm05

Justice Palace

 

 

866nm05

Photos taken 2005