Colima

Mexico Courthouses / Colima
246M06

Colima comes from the Nahoa Mexican word meaning “old kingdom” or “domain of the lord” and “Coliman” was derived from “colli” meaning “hill, volcano or grandfather” and “Maitl” meaning “land or domain” and together means “place dominated by the Old god or Fire God” a reference to the Fuego de Colima volcano.

 

Created:  December 9, 1856

State Capital: 

Colima    1856 – present

 

Government Palace (Palacio de Gobierno) – Colima

 

Location:  SE – Avenida Hidalgo / Avenida Reforma

Built:  1884 – 1904

Style:  French Boroque / Neo-Classical

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Luico Uribe

 

Description:  The building faces northwest and is a two story yellow colored stucco and stone structure. The building is located in the centre of the city on the southeast side of the Plaza Principal. The site was formerly a prison and then the Town Council. The building has a façade on three sides with white colored trim. The building was damaged by earthquakes in 1932 and 1941. The clock was brought from Germany in 1891. Local artist Jorge Chavez Carrillo painted the murals on the stairways to celebrate the birth of independence hero Miguel Hidalago, who was once parish priest of Colima. The murals depict Mexican history from the Spanish conquest to independence. The interior patio is located in the centre of the building.

 

Legislative Palace (Palacio Legislativo) - Colima

 

259m06

 

Location:  NE - Calzada General Pedro Gavan / Avenida Aldama

Built:  1981 – 1983

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a two story white-yellow colored glass and concrete structure. The building is located to the east of the city centre. On the north side is Los Regaldo. The building is part of the Justice and Legislative Complex with the Justice Palace on the south side of a central plaza and the Legislative Palace on the northeast side. The building is square and was completed on August 29, 1983. The building faces south onto a plaza and is north along of Calzada General Pedro Gavan. The building houses the State Congress (Honorable Congreso de Estado de Colima).

 

Justice Palacio (Palacio de Justicia) - Colima

 

260m06

 

Location:  NE - Calzada General Pedro Gavan / Avenida Aldama

Built:  1981 – 1983

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a three story white-yellow colored glass and concrete structure. The building is located to the east of the city centre. On the north side is Los Regaldo. The building is part of the Justice and Legislative Complex with the Justice Palace on the south side of a central plaza and the Legislative Palace on the northeast side. The building forms an “L” shape has high arched windows on either side of the entrance in the centre of the building. The building houses the Tribunal Superior de Justicia.

 

States: 

N – Jalisco

E – Jalisco and Michoacan

S – Michoacan and Pacific Ocean

W – Pacific Ocean

 

 

 

244m06

Government Palace

 

 

245m06

 

 

x1_3

 

 

262m06

 

 

252m06

 

 

257m06

Legislative and Justice Palace

 

 

258m06

 

 

256m06

Photos taken 2006