Chiapas comes from the Nahuatl compound word ”Chia” and “Apan” meaning “in the river”, that is to say “Chia River”.
Created: September 11, 1824
San Cristaobal 1824 – 1833
Tuxtla Gutierrez 1833 – present
Government / Legislative Palace (Palacio de Gobierno) – Tuxtla Gutierrez
Location: NE – Avenida Central Oriente / 1a Calle Oriente Norte
Description: The building faces west and is a three story yellow-white coloured concrete structure. The building is located on the east side of the Plaza Civica in the city centre Colonia Centro. The west front entrance faces onto the Plaza Civica. The building houses the Governor’s Office and the State Congress (Congreso del Estado) which is located on the second story.
Justice Palace (Palacio de Justicia) - Tuxtla Gutierrez
Location: Libramiento Norte Oriente 2100
Description: The building faces south and is a five white coloured stone story structure. The building is located in the Infonavit El Rosario ( Fraccionamiento El Brosque ) to the northeast of the city centre. The entrance on the south side, has a large panel of glass. There is a small park along the south side of the building. The building houses the Tribunal Superior de Justicia.
Old Justice Palace
Old Justice Palace (Palacio de Justicia) is located on the southeast corner of Calle Central Sur and Avenida 2a Sur Oriente in the city centre.
E – Tabasco and Guatemala
S – Guatemala
W – Pacific Ocean
Photos taken 2006