Campeche comes from the Mayan word “Ah-Kim-Pech”, which means “Lord Sun Sheep-Tick”, but since its pronunciation was difficult for the Spanish, they called it ”Kna Pech”, which means “Place of snakes and ticks”.
Created: April 29, 1863
San Francisco de Campeche 1863 – present
Government Palace (Palacio de Gobierno) – Campeche
Location: Calle 8 / Parque Principal
Description: The building faces southeast and is a six story concrete and glass structure. The building is located along the southwest side of Plaza de le Republica and Calle 61 in the city centre. The east and west sides have white colured grill work on the third to sixth stories. On the southeast side is a projecting two story centre section with a large mural. roof line is flat. Replacing the former original Government Palace, the modern building is referred to as the “jukebox”. Along the southwest side is the Legislative Palace.
Legislative Palace (Palacio Legislativo) - Campeche
Location: NW – Calle 8 / Calle 63
Description: The building faces south and is a one story structure. The building is located in the city centre Colonia Centro with the Government Palace on the north side. The low building faces south onto a small park. The modern building is referred to as the “flying saucer”. The building houses the State Congress (Honorable Congreso del Estado de Campeche).
Justice Palace (Palacio de Justicia) - Campeche
Location: Avenida Patrico Trueba de Regil
Description: The building faces west and is a two story concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the south of the city centre. The low modern houses the Tribunal Superior de Justicia.
N – Gulf of Mexico and Yucatan
S – Guatemala and Tabasco
W – Tabasco and Gulf of Mexico
Photos taken 2006