Dawson City

Canada Courthouses / Yukon Territory / Dawson City
386Y94

Dawson City is named for George M Dawson, who was a Canadian geologist who mapped the region in 1887.

 

Location:  Dawson City is located in the north part of the Territory.

Judicial District:  Dawson City Judicial District

 

Courthouse – Dawson City

 

Location:  Front Street / Turner Street

Built:  1900 – 1901

Style:  Federal

Architect:  Thomas William Fuller of the Federal Department of Public Works

Contractor:  Local labour

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story white coloured wood frame structure. The building has a recessed central section with porch, recessed entrance on the first story and balcony on the second story.  On either side are gable roofs. The green coloured roof is hipped. On the centre of the roof is a square white coloured cupola with green coloured roof. 

 

Old Territorial Building – Dawson City

 

365y94

 

Location:  Fifth Avenue / Church Street

Built:  1901

Style:  Federal

Architect:  Thomas William Fuller of the Federal Department of Public Works

Contractor:  Local labour

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story bluish coloured wood frame structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The centre section projects from the main building with entrance on the first story with small pediment and rising to a gable roof at the roof line. There are dormers along the roof. The wings stretch north and south with projecting end sections rising to gable roofs. The building was renovated in 1910 to 1922. The building served as the Yukon Territorial Government Building until 1953.

 

Photos taken 1994