Saskatoon is named for the Cree word “saskwaton” meaning the “Saskatoon berries” being a sweet violet coloured berry that grows in the area.
Location: Saskatoon is located in the central part of the Province along the South Saskatchewan River.
Judicial District: Saskatoon Judicial District
Courthouse – Saskatoon
Location: 520 Spadina Crescent east / 21st Street East
Built: 1956 – 1958
Style: Art Deco
Architect: John Webster of Saskatoon
Description: The building faces east and is a three story concrete and stone Art Deco style structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The east front has a central entrance with two vertical concrete dividers rising to the top of the third story. The glass entrance is recessed and the coat of arms is above, Vertical silver coloured panels divide the windows. The roof line is flat. On the south side, a new addition was constructed from 2013 to 2015. The architect is Henry Dowing Howlett ( HDH Architects ) and the contractor is Graham Construction.
Note: The cost of the new addition in 2015 was $30,000,000.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Storey and Van Egmond of Regina and built at 21st Street East and 4th Avenue South in 1907 to 1908. The building was demolished in 1958.
Provincial Courthouse – Saskatoon
Location: 220 19th Street East / 2nd Avenue
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red-orange coloured brick and concrete structure. The central south entrance has a large overhang supported by a brick pillar. The roof line is flat.
Photos taken 2013 and 2015