Moose Jaw is named for Moose Jaw Bone Creek as shown on a map by surveyor John Palliser in 1857 and comes from the Plains Cree name “moscastani-sipiy” meaning “a warm place by the river” and the word “moose gaw” meaning “warm breezes”.
Location: Moose Jaw is located in the south central part of the Province.
Judicial District: Moose Jaw Judicial District
Old Courthouse – Moose Jaw
Location: 64 Ominica Street / 1st Avenue NW
Built: 1908 – 1909
Style: Colonial Revival
Architect: Frank Darling and J A Pearson of Toronto, Ontario
Contractor: Smith Brothers ( Duncan D Smith and Donald D Smith ) and John Wilson
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red coloured brick and limestone structure. The south front has two large red coloured brick columns with recessed central entrance framed with limestone and with crest at the top. . The second story windows are large and arched. The centre sections on the east and west side, project slightly from the main building. A wide cornice runs below the flat roof line. The building houses the Sheriff’s Office as the court has been moved to the new courthouse on the west side of 1st Avenue NW.
Note: The first courthouse was built at High Street and 9th Avenue in 1893. The present courthouse is the oldest standing courthouse in Saskatchewan still used as a courthouse. The cost of construction of the courthouse was $50,000.
Courthouse – Moose Jaw
Location: 110 Ominica Street / 1st Avenue NW
Built: 1978 – 1980
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff coloured concrete and glass structure. The south front has a central entrance with projecting over hang and recessed entrance. There are white colourewd concrete pilasters and the windows are framed with white colured concrete. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the W G Davies Building.
Photos taken 2013