Melville is named for Charles Melville Hays, who was president of the Grand Truck Railway and Grand Trunk Pacific Railway at the time the town was settled.
Location: Melville is located in the central eastern part of the Province.
Judicial District: Yorkton Judicial District
Old Courthouse – Melville
Location: 430 Main Street / 4th Avenue
Built: 1912 – 1913
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Storey and Van Egmond of Regina
Contractor: Melville Construction Company and Westbrook & Brockelbank
Description: The building faces west and is a three story dark red coloured brick, stone and concrete brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the centre of Melville. The west front has a central projecting section with entrance framed with stone on the first story. The second story windows are arched. A wide cornice runs below the flat roof line. On the centre of the roof is a large low dome. The second and third stories house a large open hall with stairs at the south side. The building is now the City Hall. A one story modern addition was constructed on the north side.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $75,000.
Courthouse – Melville
Location: 256 2 Avenue / Queen Street
Built: 1967 – 1969
Architect: Wen E Marvin and Alan Varstone
Contractor: Weber Construction
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff coloured brick, stone and concrete brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the west side of the centre of Melville. The main building is rectangular with glass entrance on the west side of the front. The centre section has louvered concrete rising above the rook line and with red coloured brick on the bottom section. On the west side is the one story court section. The roof line is flat.
Photos taken 2013 and 2015