Quebec Judicial District is named for the Algonquian word meaning “where the river narrows” referring to the narrowing of the St. Lawrence River near Quebec City.
District: Quebec Judicial District
Palais de Justice – Quebec City
Location: 300 Boulevard Jean Lesage / Rue de la Gare du Palais
Built: 1968 – 1970
Description: The building faces east and is a five story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped ground on the northwest side of the city centre. The lower three stories are recessed with vertical concrete pillars dividing the glass walls. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Palais de Justice.
Old Palais de Justice – Quebec City
Location: 12 Rue St. Louis / Rue du Tresor
Built: 1883 – 1887
Style: Second Empire
Architect: Jean-Baptiste Derome
Contractor: John Patrick Whelin.
Description: The building faces east and is a five story grey coloured stone structure. The building is located in the city centre. The fascade was designed by Eugen Tache. An annex was constructed in 1923 to 1925, The architect was Tanguay, Beaule and Morissette and Morissette and Chenvert and the contractor was Emelien Frenette and C E Morissette Ltd.
Palais de Justice
Old Palais de Justice
Photos taken 2006 and 2016