Old Palais de Justice – Kamouraska
Location: 111 Avenue Morel / Rue du Palais
Built: 1888 – 1889
Architect: Jean-Baptist Derome and Paul Cousin both of the Quebec Department of Public Works
Contractor: Francois Soucy.
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story buff and red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The northwest front has a projecting centre tower with entrance on the first story and rising above the roof line with a castle-like battlement and thin round cupola. The building has a mansard roof with dormer windows. The roof line is flat. The base of the building is rough cut stone.
Note: The palais de justice served as the centre for the Superior Court of Eastern Quebec. The building now houses the Centre d’art de Kamouraska and the old courtroom is the Guy-Drapeau theatre.
See: The Kamouraska Judicial District palais de justice is located in Riviere du Loup.
Old Palais de Justice
Photos taken 2016