Bedford Judicial District is named for Lord John Russell, who was the fourth Duke of Bedford and governor general of Ireland, or for several Bedfords who were Loyalists from the American colonies.
District: Bedford Judicial District
Palais de Justice – Cowansville
Location: 920 Rue Principale / Boulevard Pierre Laporte
Built: 1859 – 1862
Architect: Frederick Preston Rubidge of the Department of Public Works
Contractor: Sinclair & Skelsey ( 1859 to 1860 ) and G H Sweet ( 1860 to 1862
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red coloured brick, stone and wood structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The north front has a slightly projecting centre section with stone framed entrance on the first story, three large arched windows on the second story and pediment at the roof line. The corners of the building have stone trim and the roof is hipped. On the south side is the grey coloured stone gaol. An annex was constructed in 1874 to 1875, Another annex was constructed in 1906 designed by Adrien Beathiaune and constructed by W F Viles, and another annex was constructed from 1931 to 1932. The building was restored in 1994 to 2009.
See: The architect Frederick Preston Rubidge of the Department of Public Works also designed courthouses in Beauce District, Charlevoix District, Gatineau District, Iberville District, Joliette District and Montmagny District.
Other Palais de Justice
S – Vermont
Photos taken 2016