Gatineau Judicial District is named for Nicholas Gatineau dit Duplesses, who was a Trois Rivieres notary and who hunted and trapped in the Gatineau Valley.
District: Gatineau Judicial District
Old Aylmer Palais de Justice – Gatineau
Location: 120 Rue Principale / Rue Park
Built: 1869 – 1870
Style: Neo- Classical
Architect: Pierre Gauvreau of the Quebec Department of Public Works
Contractor: Thomas C Pidgeon and Daniel Cassidy
Description: The building faces north and is a two story grey coloured stone and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the city centre. The north front has a projecting centre section with entrance on the first story and long vertical windows on the second story and rising to a pediment at the roof line. The building served as the City Hall in 1897, a fire station and the municipal library, and is now home to the Centre Culturel du Vieux-Aylmer
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1843 and was destroyed by fire in 1845. The second courthouse was designed by F P Rubidge of the Department of Public Works. The building served until 1869 when the present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $9,000.
Palais de Justice - Gatineau
Location: 17 Rue Laurier / Reue de l’Hotel de Ville
Built: 1975 – 1978
Description: The building faces east and is an eight story concrete and glass structure.
Note: The cost of construction was $25,000,000.
N – Labelle District
S – Ontario
W – Pontiac District
Old Alymer Palais de Justice
Palaiis de Justice
Photos taken 2014 and 2016