Queens County

Canada Courthouses / Prince Edward Island / Queens County
208P06

Queens County is named for Charlotte of Mecklenburg, who was the queen of the Great Britain.

 

County Created  :  1765

County Seat:  

Charlottetown  1765 – present

 

Courthouse – Charlottetown

 

Location:  42 Water Street / Pownal Street

Built:  1978 – 1979

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Cochrane and Forsyth of Halifax, Nova Scotia

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces northwest and is a two story red coloured brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the centre of the city and is an “L” shape with a long east wing and a shorter north wing. The front has a curved entrance at the junction of the wings. Along the front of the east wing are square beams rising to the roof line with a wide so\ilver coloured band running between the first and second stories. The windows are horizontal. The green coloured roof is hipped. There are five courtroomsThe building is the Law Courts and houses the Court of Appeal. The building is named as the “Sir Louis Henry Davies Law Centre” after Sir Louis Henry Davies ( 1845 – 1924 ). The building was originally a wholesaler’s warehouse with hand hewn posts and beams. In 1998 to 1999, the building was modernized. The architect was Bergmark & Hammarlund of Charlottetown.

 

Note:  The Supreme Court was housed in the Colonial Building from 1847 to 1873. The building was designed by Isaac Smith. The previous courthouse was located at 171 Richmond Street and was designed by Thomas Alley and constructed by Charles Heartz in 1874 to 1876. John Hodgson was the carpenter. The cost of construction was $60,032.64. The building was renovated in 1937. The architect was J H Hunter and the contractor was A T MacKinnon. The building was destroyed by fire in 1976.

 

Prince Edward Island Court of Appeal

 

709m18

 

Description:  The Prince Edward Island Court of Appeal is housed in the Sir Louis Henry Davies Law Courts. The Court of Appeal courtroom is Courtroom Three located on the second story in the centre of the building. The judges light coloured wood bench is at the south end of the chamber with large coats of arms behind.  The ceiling rises to a high skylight..

 

Provincial Court Courthouse – Charlottetown

 

736m18

 

Location:  42 Water Street / Pownal Street

Built:  1977 – 1979

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a three story red coloured wood frame structure. The building is located on the north side of the courthouse in the centre of the city and is connected to the courthouse by a second story walkway. The southeast side has an entrance on the south end and an overhanging second story with red coloured brick facing on the first story. The roof is hipped. The rectangular shaped building houses the Provincial Court with courtroom located on the second story. 

 

Courthouses: 

N – Gulf of Saint Lawrence and Quebec

E – Kings County 

S – Northumberland Strait, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick

W – Prince County

 

 

 

693m18

Courthouse

 

 

694m18

 

 

701m18

 

 

699m18

 

 

703m18

 

 

704m18

 

 

715m18

Court of Appeal

 

 

710m18

 

 

711m18

 

 

712m18

 

 

713m18

 

 

714m18

 

 

708m18

Supreme Court

 

 

716m18

 

 

717m18

 

 

718m18

 

 

719m18

 

 

720m18

 

 

721m18

 

 

707m18

 

 

723m18

 

 

724m18

 

 

722m18

 

 

729m18

 

 

730m18

 

 

731m18

 

 

725m18

 

 

726m18

 

 

732m18

 

 

734m18

Provincial Court Courthouse

 

 

735m18

 

 

737m18

 

 

738m18

 

 

740m18

 

 

743m18

 

 

744m18

Photos taken 2018