Oxford County is named for Oxford County in England.
Woodstock 1850 – present
Courthouse – Woodstock
Location: 415 Hunter Street / Light Street
Built: 1890 – 1892
Architect: Cutbertson and Fowler
Contractor: A J Brown of Toronto
Description: The building faces south and is a two story pink and white coloured rock structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The south front has a one story portico with two groups of three stone columns and arch above. The windows are arched. On the southwest corner is a large four story square tower. Round towers rise above the roof line with many gables. The principal gable has a grinning devil and the façade has the scales of justice and the sword of mercy, tied with stone ribbons and smothered in maple leaves.
Note: The first architect hired was Robert Thomas Brookes of Detroit, Michigan and the contract was William C Smith. There work was unsatisfactory and they were dismissed and replaced. The cost of construction of the courthouse was $125,086.
Photos taken 2014