Perth County is named for the city of Perth in Scotland.
Stratford 1850 – present
Courthouse – Stratford
Location: 1 Huron Street / Ontario Street
Built: 1885 – 1887
Style: High Victorian and Queen Anne Revival
Architect: George F Durand of London
Contractor: Scrimgeour Brothers of Stratford.
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff coloured brick and red coloured sandstone structure. The east front has a high central tower with arched entrance on the first story, double arched windows on the second story, two vertical arched windows on the third story and steep roof above. On the north side of the tower, the east front has large arched windows on the second story and rises to a peak at the roof line. With small tower on the northeast corner. The east front has six allegorical terra cotta panels representing arts, manufacture, justice, agriculture and architecture. The north part of the building is recessed with the main entrance on the first story. The base of the building is course stone. The roof is hipped. The building houses the Superior Court of Justice.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1853. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $94,208.
Other Branch Courthouses
W – Huron County
Photos taken 2014