Renfrew County is named for the town of Renfrew in Scotland.
Pembroke 1861 – present
Courthouse – Pembroke
Location: 297 Pembroke Street East / William Street
Built: 1864 – 1867
Architect: Henry Horsey
Contractor: Duncan Kippen
Description: The building faces south and is a two story sandstone structure. The complex includes the registry office built from 1862 to 1868 and the jail built from 1864 to 1866. The building is located on landscaped grounds with the original building in the centre and the new addition wrapped around on either side. The interior was renovated in 1915. The building was renovated in 2005 to 2007 and an addition constructed on the west side. The architect was NORR Limited Architects and Engineers.
Note: During the construction, J W Potter was the stone mason, W D Chapman was the tinsmith, James Cooke was the carpenter, David Hogg did the furnishing and Thomas Pink was the iron worker.
See: The courthouse is similar to the Lanark County Courthouse in Perth.
Other Branch Courthouses
N – Quebec
Photos taken 2016