Parry Sound County is named for Sir William Edward Parry, who was an Arctic explorer.
Parry Sound 1870 – present
Courthouse – Parry Sound
Location: 89 James Street / NcMurray Street
Built: 1871 – 1872
Architect: Kivas Tully
Contractor: John McClelland.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red coloured brick structure. The west front has a slightly projecting centre section with white coloured wood frame entrance on the first story and arched window on the second story, rising to a peaked roof above. The second story windows are arched. The roof is hipped. The base of the building is rough stone. An addition was constructed in 1889. The contractor was George Ball. In 1921 to 1922, a further addition was constructed on the east side. The architect was Francis Riley Heakes of Toronto and the contractor was Stuart & Sinclair of Hamilton. The building was renovated in 1949 and 1963. The building houses the Superior Court of Justice.
Note: The courthouse was constructed in three stages from 1871, 1889 and 1921.
See: The architect, Frank Riley Heakes of Toronto, was chief architect for the Ontario Department of Public Works and he designed courthouses in Algoma District, Kenora District, Muskoka District Municipality, Rainy River District, Sudbury District, Thunder Bay District and Timiskaming District.
Other Branch Courthouses
Burk’s Falls / Sundridge
N – Sudbury District and Nipissing District
S – Muskoka District Municipality
Photos taken 2016