Ottawa-Carleton Regional Municipality County is named for an Algonquian tribe the “Ottawa” which name means “to trade” or “meeting place” and for Guy Carleton, who was the 1st Baron Dorchester.
Ottawa 1800 – 2001
Ottawa 2001 – present ( Regional Municipality )
Courthouse – Ottawa
Location: 161 Elgin Street / Laurier Avenue West
Built: 1983 – 1986
Architect: Murray & Murray Architects
Contractor: EllisDon Construction
Description: The building faces west and is a nine story concrete structure. The building is a bunker style building with main entrance on the west front. There is a one story concrete canopy with curved roof. Rough stone is used. The roof line is flat. The building houses the Superior Court of Justice and the Ontario Court of Justice.
Old Courthouse – Ottawa
Location: 2 Daly Avenue / Nicholas Street
Built: 1870 – 1871
Architect: Robert Surtees
Description: The building faces north and is a three story grey coloured limestone Italianate style structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the north and west sides. The east and west wings are two stories. The north front has a projecting central section with arched entrance on the first story. Above is an arched window on the second story with pediment at the roof line. The roof is hipped. The building houses the Ottawa Art Gallery with a new addition constructed on the east side..
Note: On the south side of the courthouse is the old jail designed by Henry Horse and built in 1866.
See: Located in Ottawa is the Canada Supreme Court
N – Quebec
Photos taken 2014, 2016 and 2018