Halton Region is named for William Halton, who was the Secretary to the Upper Canada provincial Lieutenant Governor Sir Francis Gore. Halton County became the Regional Municipality of Halton in 1974.
Milton 1816 – 1973
Milton 1973 – present – Regional Municipality
Old Courthouse – Milton
Location: 43 Brown Street / Mary Street
Built: 1854 – 1855
Style: Gothic and Italianate
Architect: Clarke and Murray
Contractor: Michael Kenney
Description: The building faces south and is a two story limestone structure. The building is castellated with large square towers on either side of the front. The centre section is recessed with a central arched entrance. The windows are arched. The courthouse is distinguished by its limestone walls, window tracery, and tall rectangular windows under flat window hoods, double panelled front door and crenelations. The building served as a courthouse until 1977 and then served as the Milton Town Hall and Municipal Administration Building.
Note: Other castellated courthouses were built at London and Guelph. In 1853, Hugh Foster offered a grant of four acres of land for the location of the courthouse.
Courthouse – Milton
Location: 491 Steeles Avenue / Ontario Street North
Built: 1977 – 1978
Description: The building faces southeast and is a three story grey coloured concrete and glass structure. The east front has a recessed central entrance. A square tower rises to the roof line and window sections project from the building with horizontal windows. The roof line is flat. The building houses the Superior Court of Justice and the Ontario Court of Justice ( Criminal & Family ).
See: The Ontario Court of Justice ( Criminal ) is located at Burlington.
N – Peel County
E – Lake Ontario
Photos taken 2011