Middlesex County is named after Middlesex County in England.
Created: July 16, 1792
London 1792 – present
Court House – London
Location: 80 Dundas Street / Rideout Street
Built: 1974 – 1976
Style: Modern Brutalist
Architect: Paul Skinner
Description: The building faces south and is a sixteen story concrete and glass structure. The first two stories extend outwards with a central tower rising another fourteen stories. The roof line is flat. The building houses the Superior Court of Justice and the Ontario Court of Justice.
Old Court House – London
Location: 399 Rideout Street North / Dundas Street
Built: 1827 – 1831
Architect: John Ewart of Toronto
Contractor: John Ewart of Toronto / Thomas Talbot and Court House Building Committee
Description: The building faces east and is a four story grey coloured stone structure. The east front has a large projecting tower with large arch and recessed entrance on the first story. The tower has a large arched window on the second story and smaller arched window on the third story and rising to two turrets, The building has a large octagonal tower on the northeast and southeast corner. The courthouse features a stone foundation housing the cell blocks, squared mortar-covered brick walls to give a stone-like appearance, octagonal towers, a polygonal bay, tall lancet windows, secondary square windows and distinctive crenellations. Extensive additions were made to the east façade of the courthouse in 1878. Designs were attributed to Thomas Tracy who was associated with the city engineer’s office, and Charles Holmes, the County Engineer. The additions to the Ridout Street façade resulted in a structure approximately 100 feet by 100 feet ( 30 meters by 30 meters ). The new façade included a new set of corner towers modelled on the older ones, as well as a new and dominant central tower. The building is now the Middlesex county Administration.
Note: The courthouse was modeled after the Malahide Castle, the ancestral home in Ireland of Colonel Thomas Talbot.
E – Oxford County
S – Elgin County
Photos taken 2011