Kawartha Lakes Region is named for “ka-wa-tha” originating from “Ka-wa-tae-gum-maug” meaning “land of reflections” in the Anishinabe language or “bright waters and happy lands”.
Created: July 16, 1792
January 1, 2001 – Formerly Victoria County
Lindsay 1792 – 2001 ( Victoria County )
Lindsay 2001 – present
Couthouse – Lindsay
Location: 440 Kent Street West / St. Joseph Road
Built: 1960 – 1962
Description: The building faces south and is a one story buff coloured brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds and was formerly the Ontario Girl’s Training School. The building houses the Superior Court of Justice.
Old Couthouse – Lindsay
Location: 26 Francis Street / Cambridge Street
Built: 1861 – 1862
Architect: Frederick Cumberland and William Storm of Toronto
Contractor: John Kesteven
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff coloured brick structure. The centre section is rectangular with central entrance on the first story front There are arched windows with pediment at the roof line. On the roof is a large square open cupola with steep roof. On either side are lower two story wings. The building has a hipped roof. The building presently serves as the City Hall.
S – Durham County
Photos taken 2016