Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry United Counties. Stormont County is named for the Viscount of Stormont which was a Peerage of Scotland. Dundas County was named for Henry Dundas, who was the 1st Viscount Melville. Glengarry County is named for the Scottish Glen where the MacDonald family was based in Scotland.
Created: May 1, 1858
Cornwall 1858 – present
Old Stormont County Court House – Cornwall
Location: Water Street / Pitt Street
Architect: Archibald Fraser.
Contractor: Archibald Fraser.
Description: The building faces east and is a two story limestone structure. The east front has a central stone framed entrance. The centre section projects slightly from the main building and rises to a pediment at the hipped roof. A projecting horizontal belt runs between the first and second stories. The building was constructed as the Eastern District Courthouse and became the Stormont County Courthouse. A buff coloured brick addition was constructed on the north side. On the west side is a modern concrete and glass addition which houses the County Administration.
Note: The cost of construction was five thousand pounds.
Courthouse – Cornwall
Location: 29 2nd Street West / Augustus Street
Built: 1997 – 1998
Description: The building faces north and is a one story red coloured brick, glass and concrete structure. The roof line is flat. The building houses the Superior Court of Justice and the Ontario Court of Justice.
Other Branch Courthouses
Photos taken 2010