Chatham-Kent Region

Canada Courthouses / Ontario / Chatham-Kent Region
57K18

Chatham-Kent County is named for Chatham in England which name was derived from “ceto” anf “ham” meaning “forest settlement”, and for Kent County in England.

 

Created:  July 16, 1792 

January 1, 1998 – Amalgamation of county and city

Region Seat: 

Chatham            1792 – 1998

Chatham-Kent   1998 – present

 

Old Chatham County Courthouse – Chatham

 

Location:  70 Stanley Street / Seventh Street

Built:  1848 – 1849

Style:  Neo-Classical and Greek Revival

Architect:  William Thomas

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story buff grey coloured limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The south front has a central entrance with balustraded balcony above. At the roof line is a pediment. There are arched windows on the upper stories. On the centre of the roof is a round cupola with black coloured dome. The building is connected to the former courthouse on the north side.

 

Former Chatham County Courthouse – Chatham

 

70k18

 

Location:  21 7th Street / 8th Street

Built:  1948 – 1949

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Joseph Storey of Chatham

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story buff coloured brick and concrete structure. The building is located on the north side of the old courthouse. On the north side is a two story wing. The building houses the Superior Court of Justice and the Ontario Court of Justice. 

 

Courthouse – Chatham

 

39k18

 

Location:  445 Grand Avenue West ( north side ) / Courthouse Lane

Built:  1970

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Joseph Storey of Chatham

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The south front has three vertical concrete towers with recessed glass walls on the first and second stories. The third story has horizontal windows. On the west side is a concrete section with sloped copper coloured roof. The entrance on the west side of the front has a one story projecting section. The roof line is flat. The building was originally constructed as the Chatham County Administration and was remodeled in 2001 to 2005 tho house the Ontario Superior Court and Ontario Court of Justice. The architect was The Venton Group and the contractor was The Atlas Corporation.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Lambton County

E – Middlesex County and Elgin County

S – Lake Erie

W – Essex County, Lake St. Clair and Michigan

 

 

 

56k18

Old Chatham County Courthouse

 

 

58k18

 

 

59k28

 

 

60k18

 

 

61k18

 

 

62k18

 

 

63k18

 

 

66k18

 

 

72k18

Former Chatham County Courthouse

 

 

73k18

 

 

67k18

 

 

36k18

Courthouse

 

 

38k18

 

 

40k18

 

 

44k18

 

 

45k18

 

 

46k18

 

 

49k18

 

 

52k18

 

 

53k18

 

 

54k18

 

 

55k18

Photos taken 2018