Bruce County is named for James Bruce, who was the 8th Earl of Elgin and the 12th Earl of Kincardine and governor of the Province of Canada.
Created: May 16, 1856
Walkerton 1856 – present
Courthouse – Walkerton
Location: 207 Cayley Street / Colborne Street
Built: 1966 – 1967
Description: The building faces north and is a two story brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The north front has a central entrance with concrete canopy. The first story has dark red coloured brick and the second story is yellow coloured brick with framed windows. The roof line is flat. The old courthouse is on the east side, the old registry is on the west side. On the south is the gaol complex.
Old Courthouse – Walkerton
Location: 215 Cayley Street / Colborne Street
Built: 1852 – 1853
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: David Smith of Guelph
Contractor: Dowling & Dougal
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff coloured brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The north front has an arched entrance on the first story of the original section. The windows are arched and the roof is hipped. The mason was John Harkness. On the west side is the 1885 addition which was designed by M B Ayleworth and constructed by John Hardness in 1885. A further addition was constructed in 1960.
N – Manitoulin District and Geogian Bay
E – Georgian Bay and Grey County
S – Huron County
W – Lake Huron
Photos taken 2016