Leeds and Grenville United Counties

Canada Courthouses / Ontario / Leeds and Grenville United Counties
0700K10

Leeds and Grenville United Counties. Leeds County is named for Francis Osborne, who was the 5th Duke of Leeds named after Leeds in West Yorkshire, England. Grenville County is named for William Wyndham Grenville, who was the British Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs.

 

Created:  1752

District Seat: 

Brockville  1792 – 1850

Brockville   1850 – present  ( United Counties )

 

Courthouse – Brockville

 

Location:  41 Court House Square / Broad Street

Built:  1842 – 1843

Style:  Edwardian / Neo-Classical

Architect:  John George Howard

Contractor:  Benjamin Chaffey

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a three story brown colored stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Green sloping eastwards in the centre of the city. The southeast front has a projecting centre section with arched entrance and windows on the first story. Six Ionic columns rise from the second story to the top of the third story with pediment and clock above. At the top is a statue. The centre section is flanked by two identical wings. The west wing was added in 1888, while the Gaoler’s House on the east side was built in 1898.The building was named as the Johnstown District Courthouse and the building houses the Superior Court of Justice.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry

E – New York   

S – Frontenac County

W – Lanark County and Ottawa-Carlton Region

 

 

 

2264m18

Courthouse

 

 

2262m18

 

 

0699k10

 

 

0702k10

 

 

0701k10

 

 

0707k10

 

 

0708k10

 

 

2271m18

 

 

2265m18

 

 

2266m18

 

 

2267m18

 

 

2268m18

 

 

2269m18

 

 

0703k10

 

 

0704k10

 

 

0706k10

Photos taken 2010 and 2018