Hastings County is named for Francis Rawdon-Hastings who was Governor General of India.
Created: July 16, 1792
Bellville 1792 – present
County Administration – Belleville
Location: 235 Pinnacle Street / Campbell Street
Built: 1959 – 1960
Description: The building faces west and is a three story buff coloured brick and concrete structure. The windows are horizontal and the roof line is flat. The building was renovated in 1996. The building also houses the Hastings County Administration and the courts will move into the new courthouse.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed by Robert Matthews and David Duff of Kingston in 1837 to 1838. The building committee selected the plans of the Newcastle Courthouse and the supervising architect was Thomas Rogers of Kingston. The building was named as the Victoria District Courthouse. The building was demolished.
Courthouse – Belleville
Location: 15 Bridge Street West / Coleman Street
Built: 2011 – 2014
Architect: WZMH Architects
Contractor: Brookfield Partnerships Quinte
Description: The building faces north and is a seven story buff coloured concrete and glass structure. The building houses the Superior Court of Justice.
Note: The cost of construction is $270,700,000.
Courthouse – Bancroft
Location: 5 Fairway Road / Hastings Street
Description: The building faces south and is a one story buff and red coloured brick and concrete structure. The building is part of a small mall. The Ontario Court of Justice occupies the west section of the building. The windows are large and arched. The roof is hipped.
Photos taken 2010, 2014 and 2016