Pictou County is named for the word “piktook” meaning an explosion of gas and “bucto” meaning fire which related to the coal fields in the area, or from “Poictou” an old province in France.
County Created : 1790
Pictou 1790 – present
Courthouse – Pictou
Location: 69 Water Street / Calach Avenue
Built: 1985 – 1986
Architect: Archibald & Jones Architects Ltd.
Contractor: Boyd & Garkand Construction Limited
Description: The building faces north and is a two story concrete and glass structure.
N – Northumberland Strait and Prince Edward Island
Photos taken 2018