Halifax County is named for George Montagu-Dunk, who was the 2nd Earl of Halifax.
County Created : August 17, 1759
Halifax 1759 – present
Courthouse – Halifax
Location: 1815 Upper Water Street / Duke Street
Built: 1968 – 1970
Style: Modern Brutalist
Architect: Fowler, Bauld and Mitchell Ltd. of Halifax
Contractor: Fundy Construction Ltd.
Description: The building faces west and is a seven story light red and grey coloured concrete slab and glass structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on a raised plaza in the city centre with the first story below the plaza level. The west front has a central entrance on the second story with extended concrete canopy. Vertical concrete dividers and horizontal concrete beams run between the horizontal recessed windows. The roof line is flat. The Court of Appeal courtroom is located on the fifth story.
Nova Scotia Court of Appeal
Description: The Nova Scotia Court of Appeal is housed in the Halifax Law Courts Building. The Court of Appeal courtroom is located at the centre of the fifth story in courtroom 502. The courtroom is paneled with vertical brown coloured wood. The judges bench is on the east side with Coat of Arms above. The council tables are in the centre and public seating is along the west side.
Old County Courthouse – Halifax
Location: 5250 Spring Garden Road / Grafton Street
Built: 1858 – 1863
Style: Neo-Classical and Palladian
Architect: William Thomas and Sons of Toronto, Ontario
Contractor: George Laing of New Brunswick
Description: The building faces north and is a four story buff coloured sandstone and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the city centre with the Old Burying Grounds on the east side. The north front has three arches with a central entrance on the first story and two large Tuscan Doric columns and three high arched windows on the second story rising to a pediment at the roof line. Keystones are carved in the shape of faces resembling Neptune and medallions in the form of lion heads. The interior has a large wood central staircase. The 1882 addition on the south side contains the large courtroom on the second story which has a traverse-beamed ceiling and large stained glass window on the east side. This courtroom was the Court of Appeal courtroom until 1971. On the west side of the second story is the original Supreme Court courtroom. The east and west wings are Greek Revival style structures. The building houses the Provincial Court.
Note: The courthouse was constructed in four phases. 1) the 1860-1861 centre section, 2) a wing on the south side in 1881-1882, 3) the east wing and 4) the west wing. The building is constructed with brown stone from St. Mary’s Point in New Brunswick and Wallace stone from Cumberland County.
Other Branch Courthouses
E – Atlantic Ocean
S – Lunenburg County
Court of Appeal Courtroom
Supreme Court Courtroom
Old County Courthouse
Former Court of Appeal courtroom
Former Supreme Court courtroom
Photos taken 1997 and 2018